My brother gave me this recipe months ago, but I’m just sharing it now for two reasons.
1. I kept forgetting to buy cabbage. I’ve never known what to do with it, so I was in the habit of passing it by in the store. Poor cabbage.
2. After I started making this, I kept forgetting to take a picture of it until it was too late. It was always long gone before the camera came out.
Do my kids like it? I’m not sure. I’ve never shared it with them. Call me selfish, but that’s the truth. I offered once, but they said “Ew, what’s that?” and I said, “Cabbage. You’re right, it’s gross. Here, let me eat yours.”
I’m sure there are many variations that can be created with the cabbage/bacon base, so let me know if you stumble upon a wonderful new combination. When your vegetables taste like bacon, you really can’t go wrong!
(Careful: wait until the pan is cool before you lick it clean.)
2 slices bacon or turkey bacon
5 cups shredded/sliced cabbage
1 cup onion, canned corn, or both
salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry the bacon. Remove and cut into little pieces.
2. Add the veggies, cover, lower the heat, and cook 20-30 minutes or until the cabbage is soft.
3. Add salt, pepper, and bacon.
Love this recipe.
I’m drooling. I think I need to make it again tonight!